6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calendar Addon - tngCalendar
Robert Hale
post Nov 15 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,240

I've modified the calendar.php script again!!

I've added
  • Select a individual tree or all trees
  • Step forward or backward month by month
  • All events recorded for a month, but with no actual day, listed at the end of the calendar

http://www.ourgenealogy.co.uk/tng/calendar.php shows the latest version working

There are a few mods, so rather than detail them all here, I've made the updated file available for download from http://www.ourgenealogy.co.uk/tngCalendar.

I hope this helps

Robert
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rocksea
post Nov 16 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 757

hi robert hale,

thank you for working on the calendar script. nice to see some extra features. here are some comments:

1. one needs to change the script even if the calendar.php file is placed in the main tng folder because in the script you have assigned main tng folder as "/tng". also, the script assigns an extra "/tng" to the links of individual pages from the calendar, so one needs to remove that also in the script.

2. the options for selecting which events to display works for the current month only. when you change the options and click on GO for another month, it defaults to the current month.

3. instead of giving the previous and next month in names, it may be more aesthetic to just give << or >>

4. it would be good if you assign a version number to your updates if you are working on improving it. it would help users to know if they have missed any updates etc.

cheers,,

QUOTE(cniemira @ Sep 15 2006, 02:12 PM) *

Don't I know it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_wink.gif)

The updates I'm making will be enough to call this version 2.0 when I'm done, as I'm re-doing the entire process of fetching events. The basic idea is that with minimal configuration, you'll be able to display anything in TNG that has a date associated with it. Birth, death, and marriage dates of course, but christening, baptism, endowment, and any custom events as well. For example, if you've defined "RETI" events (the GEDCOM notation for retirement) you can simply specify that you'd like to see them on your calendar as well. All event types will be configurable as well: always show, never show, show by default but allow user to disable, and do not show by default but allow user to enable.

Yes, I'm going overboard... but don't worry, the default options will be sensible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_smile.gif)

Also, I'll include the other features I know have been an issue:

- Integration with TNG security (no info on live persons unless signed in)
- Multiple language support (I'll post a cry for help on the translations when I get there)
- Variable start-of-week day
- Proper display of wife's name for anniversaries (I actually, specifically made it work the way it does on purpose... long story)
- Clean up of the mouseover javascript

I'm also still taking suggestions for any other features folks might want to see.

Cheers!

thank you cniemira! we are waiting for your updates!!
+Quote Post
nimebe
post Dec 17 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,592

QUOTE(Robert Hale @ Nov 15 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I've modified the calendar.php script again!!

I've added
  • Select a individual tree or all trees
  • Step forward or backward month by month
  • All events recorded for a month, but with no actual day, listed at the end of the calendar
http://www.ourgenealogy.co.uk/tng/calendar.php shows the latest version working

There are a few mods, so rather than detail them all here, I've made the updated file available for download from http://www.ourgenealogy.co.uk/tngCalendar.

I hope this helps

Robert

Great addition. Could you also add a check for Living/Deceased, Living Only, Deceased Only?

Nick
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Jul 10 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 725

It's been almost two years since I touched tngCalendar, but I'm happy to say that I've started hacking at it again.

The new version will be capable of displaying anything that can be associated with a date, and will allow for various filtering methods (by trees, deceased, living, etc.), and native integration with TNGs security policy.

I've also been working on cleaning up some of the other bugs/feature requests including variable a variable start-of-the-week-day, a new mouseover popup, easier navigation, a simplified setup, and multiple language support.

Please let me know if there are any additional features that I should work to include.
+Quote Post
GaryT
post Jul 10 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 9,187

I made a couple of changes to it last year when I was working on my site. You can see where I got with it here: http://ashburngenealogy.com/tng/calendar/

I was hoping for mouse-overs that would resize to fit the content so that text never wrapped yet they weren't really large when they didn't need to be.

Your new version sounds like it's going to be great. In the meantime, I think I'll move the key to the top, drop the info at the very bottom, and then see if can get this into a Joomla page on my site.

-Gary
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Jul 22 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #86

Here's a first look at my new version:

http://dev.siege.org/tng/calendar.php?m=01&y=2008

A few things:
  1. This is my development site... if it's down or not working, try again later, 'cause I might be working on something.
  2. This is only a first pass... expect things to change
  3. This is all bogus data, in a TNG install I'm using specifically for add-on development (next up is that address book I mentioned a while back). The only month that has any events is January.
  4. All of these events can be enabled or disabled in the config. Education, Emigration, Engaged, and "Other Event" are examples of custom events that I specifically enabled.
  5. Events can be hidden or unhidden by clicking on their names in the key (red = hidden, black = unhidden).
  6. Just about everything is customizable via the config (first day of the week, number of characters/lines before truncation, icons, default filters, etc...).
  7. The mouseover is ajax based. It needs fleshing out, but it works (and is dynamically sizable).
Thoughts?

The last major feature I have left to implement is an iCalendar export mode (sync up with your Google calendar, for example... never miss another birthday). Other than that, I just need to do a lot of cleanup.
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Nov 4 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #87

Updated again - http://dev.siege.org/tng/?m=1

I've replaced the tooltips with a non-ajax solution (no reason to use ajax), and added hCalendar event tags (which I'm not quite sure is working yet).
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Nov 6 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #88

This should be my final update before I release v2.0 formally (short of bug fixes).

hCalendar embedded tags are functional.

I've added an iCalendar export mode (tired of missing birthdays? Sync your genealogy events with your AOL/Google/Yahoo calendar, iCal/Outlook, whatever...)

* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=birthdays
* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=deaths
* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=everything

Note that iCalendar mode will bypass TNG's authentication mechanism. The "key" values are defined by the site owner, and while they are meant to be mutable (they function as a sort of shared-secret), there is still a security risk in using this feature.
+Quote Post
gleehan
post Nov 12 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 974

Installed the mod and love it... one problem...
The callib javascript throws a 'class undefined' error on line 77, so tooltips don't display correctly... I suppose I am missing some javabeans or something... I am running on TNG 6.2, so am not using tooltips for other things. Suggestions?

Jerry

QUOTE(cniemira @ Nov 6 2008, 12:30 PM) *

This should be my final update before I release v2.0 formally (short of bug fixes).

hCalendar embedded tags are functional.

I've added an iCalendar export mode (tired of missing birthdays? Sync your genealogy events with your AOL/Google/Yahoo calendar, iCal/Outlook, whatever...)

* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=birthdays
* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=deaths
* http://dev.siege.org/tng/icalendar.php?key=everything

Note that iCalendar mode will bypass TNG's authentication mechanism. The "key" values are defined by the site owner, and while they are meant to be mutable (they function as a sort of shared-secret), there is still a security risk in using this feature.

+Quote Post
cniemira
post Nov 12 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #90

QUOTE(gleehan @ Nov 12 2008, 01:00 PM) *

Installed the mod and love it... one problem...
The callib javascript throws a 'class undefined' error on line 77, so tooltips don't display correctly... I suppose I am missing some javabeans or something... I am running on TNG 6.2, so am not using tooltips for other things. Suggestions?

Jerry

Did you add the reference to tooltip.js to your meta.html file (it's in the README, step #4)?

TNG 7 doesn't actually come with its own tooltip library, so I supplied one. It's dependent on prototype.js (TNG 6.2 and 7.0 use the same version, so it'll still work for you), and has to be loaded in the correct order.
+Quote Post
Glenn Thomas
post Nov 12 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 9,420

I love this calendar mod, but has anyone got the code to make it work from the main menu?

+Quote Post
Mike Goodstadt
post Nov 12 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 758

Wow and a mind reading function too!
Just what I was looking - will download and test out now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_smile.gif)
Many thanks,
Mike
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_biggrin.gif)
QUOTE(cniemira @ Nov 6 2008, 06:30 PM) *

...I've added an iCalendar export mode...

+Quote Post
Mike Goodstadt
post Nov 13 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #93

Advanced Member

OK - just installed version 2.0a1 the following site where I use Wordress and the ICS Calendar plugin to pull in what the TNG icalendar.php add-on generates:
http://goodstadt.info
Check out this add-ons ICS generation ability - I like it a lot!

Couples of requests / suggestions?
1. Can the config file be named something else? My FTP connection timed out and so when I uploaded the directory had reset and I nearly overwrote TNG's own config... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_smile.gif) eg. Wordpress config is wp-config.php
2. Is there anyway to allow someone who is already logged on to TNG to view the Living - is there TNG cookie lying around that could be checked? Or even if they are not logged in - how dangerous / intrusive is a brief 'Happy Birthday' if you don't mention year of birth?

Great work and many thanks!
Mike
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Nov 13 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(Glenn Thomas @ Nov 12 2008, 07:37 PM) *

I love this calendar mod, but has anyone got the code to make it work from the main menu?

Not quite sure what you mean.

QUOTE(Mike Goodstadt @ Nov 13 2008, 02:47 AM) *

1. Can the config file be named something else? My FTP connection timed out and so when I uploaded the directory had reset and I nearly overwrote TNG's own config... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_smile.gif) eg. Wordpress config is wp-config.php

I could, but I don't really think it solves a problem. tngCalendar still needs to be installed in a separate directory. Even if I renamed the config file, you'd still clobber index.php and your language file. I can't rename those.

QUOTE(Mike Goodstadt @ Nov 13 2008, 02:47 AM) *

2. Is there anyway to allow someone who is already logged on to TNG to view the Living - is there TNG cookie lying around that could be checked? Or even if they are not logged in - how dangerous / intrusive is a brief 'Happy Birthday' if you don't mention year of birth?

The previous version did that by default, and the most frequent comment I got when I released it was that people wanted it changed. So tngCalendar now uses the built-in TNG security policy. If you're logged in to an account (or guest access) that's allowed to see Living people, then you should be able to see them on the calendar. If not, you shouldn't (remember, though, that iCalendar mode is an exception to this rule). I considered making the old style still-an-option, but in the end decided to keep it simple and tightly integrated with TNG's regular security. That way it's predictable; tngCalendar isn't off doing its own thing.
+Quote Post
Mike Goodstadt
post Nov 15 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

cniemira:
Thanks for the reply.
1. OK - you're the boss (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_wink.gif)
2. I use the ICS generation to display the details on a Wordpress frontend. Am I right in assuming that the ICS generated calendar will not display the Living as ICS is totally public? I suppose that without totally hacking your good work the only secure way is to activate "Show Names for Living" in the TNG privacy config.
Many thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
cniemira
post Nov 17 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #96

QUOTE(Mike Goodstadt @ Nov 15 2008, 02:34 AM) *

2. I use the ICS generation to display the details on a Wordpress frontend. Am I right in assuming that the ICS generated calendar will not display the Living as ICS is totally public? I suppose that without totally hacking your good work the only secure way is to activate "Show Names for Living" in the TNG privacy config.

The ICS mode will show living people, if it is configured to do so! That's why I wrote the warning about it bypassing TNG's security policy.

The ICS script uses "magic keys" (which are better called "shared secrets") to define what to show. The important thing to remember is that you can (and should) change them, and their configuration. If you know the right key, you can possibly see something you shouldn't be allowed to. For example, one of the default keys looks like this:

CODE
'birthdays' => array(
        'living' => 1,
        'events' => array('birth'),
),

First thing to note is that the key's name is "birthdays". I'd strongly suggest changing this to something more obscure (I use a meaningless random string in my own setup).

Next, the "living" value defines whether or not to show data belonging to living persons:
0 = Non-living Only
1 = Living Only
2 = Both

Finally, the "events" value is an array that defines what types of events to display (based on what's defined earlier in the config file... all the common ones are already there).

The above example therefore displays the birthdays of all living persons when you go to icalendar.php?key=birthdays . The other defaults work the same way. One shows the date-of-death for all non-living persons, another shows all the family events for everyone (regardless of if they are living or not).

In thinking about it, I should probably also make the tree a part of the config in this way, because right now it has to be specified in the URL (icalendar.php?key=birthdays&tree=t2)... and that's not super-clean.
+Quote Post
Arendsoogcarine
post Dec 1 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 9,441

(Sorry for my English)

what I did wrong ?
- I have "calendar" uploaded to "genealogy/"
- calendar.php to "genealogy"
- In my meta.php : <link href="/genealogy/calendar/calstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><script type="text/javascript" src="/genealogy/calendar/tooltip.js"></script>
- change "orig_config.php" in "config.php"

but it does not work as it should.

http://www.vanheste.com/genealogy/calendar.php

Can you help me please.

Thanks Carine

TNG version 7 and template 6

+Quote Post
cniemira
post Dec 1 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(Arendsoogcarine @ Dec 1 2008, 11:13 AM) *

but it does not work as it should.

What particularly isn't working? I see two things myself, but I don't know if they are what are the same as you are seeing:

1) There's no French language file. I'm guessing you created the Dutch one, so you'll need to do the same for each other language. (And if you wouldn't mind sharing them with me, I can include them for others to use... alas, I only speak English myself).

2) The event links are broken. You're getting things that look like this:
.../genealogygetperson.php?personID=...
Instead of like this:
...genealogy/getperson.php?personID=...

Notice the second slash in the lower one? Go to the Admin and look for "Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings". Under "Site Design and Definition" make sure that "Genealogy URL" ends with a "/":
http://www.vanheste.com/genealogy/

Hopefully that will fix your problem.
+Quote Post
Arendsoogcarine
post Dec 1 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 9,441

Hello,

In my settings page i have "http://www.vanheste.com/genealogy" changed in "http://www.vanheste.com/genealogy/" and it works ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_smile.gif)

Thanks.

*********************DUTCH********************************

$text['january'] = 'Januari';
$text['february'] = 'Februari';
$text['march'] = 'Maart';
$text['april'] = 'April';
$text['may'] = 'Mei';
$text['june'] = 'Juni';
$text['july'] = 'Juli';
$text['august'] = 'Augustus';
$text['september'] = 'September';
$text['october'] = 'Oktober';
$text['november'] = 'November';
$text['december'] = 'December';

$text['monday'] = 'Maandag';
$text['tuesday'] = 'Dinsdag';
$text['wednesday'] = 'Woensdag';
$text['thursday'] = 'Donderdag';
$text['friday'] = 'Vrijdag';
$text['saturday'] = 'Zaterdag';
$text['sunday'] = 'Zondag';

$text['currentfilter'] = 'Gekozen filter';
$text['filter'] = 'Filter';
$text['more'] = 'Meer';
$text['notliving'] = 'Niet in leven';
$text['nodayevents'] = 'Evenementen voor deze maand dat niet zijn geassocieerd met een specifieke dag:';
$text['missingKey'] = 'U moet een geldige keuze maken, om gegevens te zien';

******************************FRENCH********************************

$text['january'] = 'Janvier';
$text['february'] = 'Février';
$text['march'] = 'Mars';
$text['april'] = 'Avril';
$text['may'] = 'Mai';
$text['june'] = 'Juin';
$text['july'] = 'Juillet';
$text['august'] = 'Août';
$text['september'] = 'Septembre';
$text['october'] = 'Octobre';
$text['november'] = 'Novembre';
$text['december'] = 'Décembre';

$text['monday'] = 'Lundi';
$text['tuesday'] = 'Mardi';
$text['wednesday'] = 'Mercredi';
$text['thursday'] = 'Jeudi';
$text['friday'] = 'Vendredi';
$text['saturday'] = 'Samedi';
$text['sunday'] = 'Dimanche';

$text['currentfilter'] = 'Filtre en cours';
$text['filter'] = 'Filtre';
$text['more'] = 'Plus';
$text['notliving'] = 'Pas en vie';
$text['nodayevents'] = 'Manifestations pour le mois en cours qui ne sont pas associés à un jour précis:';
$text['missingKey'] = 'Vous devez spécifier une clé valide pour afficher les événements';
********************************************************************************
+Quote Post
sddroog
post Dec 15 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 824

Hi,

I just tried 2.0a and have a few problems.

- The $tngdomain variable was missing an ending slash. Fixed by adding $tngdomain = $tngdomain . "/"; at the top of index.php
- Column width needed to be extended otherwise some events (like marriage) would not fit on 1 line. Fixed it by editing calstyle.css ( #calWrapper { width: 1107px; } and td.calDay { width: 150px; } ), not sure if that is the correct way to do it...

There is one thing I can't solve. No matter if I am logged in or not, every single person in the database, living or not shows up as living....

And I almost forgot: multilanguage events show both languages in the lower status area. Like ENGA, it shows up as "English|Engaged|Dutch|Verloving|".

Thanks again!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:30 AM