TNG Community

Adding a map to Ancestry for an individual

Réal Charlebois

Réal Charlebois

Here is a small piece of code I put together to add a Map tab to the Ancestors tab for an individual. It will create a map for all of the ancestors that have geo-points for where they were born. married, burried, etc. You can check my site www.charleboiseries.ca (search for Ovila Charlebois born in 1880 and display the Map under his Ancestors to get a glimpse at what this looks like).

I stole a significant amount of code from Darrin to build this ... I hope this is ok with you Darrin !!!!

First add mappedigree.php to your main folder

the do the following modifications:

Add: $text['ancestorsmap'] = "Carte"; (or “Map”) to all your cust_text.php files

Add the following line:

$mappedigree_url = getURL( "mappedigree", 1 );

To pedigree.php at line 30

To pedigreetext.php at line 24

To ahnentafel.php at line 22

To extratrees.php at line 18

Add the following line:

$innermenu .= "&nbsp;&nbsp; | &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=\"$mappedigree_url" . "personID=$personID&amp;tree=$tree&amp;parentset=$parentset&amp;generations=$generations\" class=\"lightlink\" id=\"maplnk\">$text[ancestorsmap]</a>\n";

To pedigree.php at new line 448

To pedigreetext.php at new line 294

To ahnentafel.php at new line 83

To extratrees.php at new line 167

This code is not perfect, but it does a decent job.

mappedigree.php

• 7 months later...

Does this work in 7.1? I can't get it to work.

Here is a small piece of code I put together to add a Map tab to the Ancestors tab for an individual. It will create a map for all of the ancestors that have geo-points for where they were born. married, burried, etc. You can check my site www.charleboiseries.ca (search for Ovila Charlebois born in 1880 and display the Map under his Ancestors to get a glimpse at what this looks like).

I stole a significant amount of code from Darrin to build this ... I hope this is ok with you Darrin !!!!

Add: $text['ancestorsmap'] = "Carte"; (or “Map”) to all your cust_text.php files

Add the following line:

Add the following line:

$innermenu .= "&nbsp;&nbsp; | &nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=\"$mappedigree_url" . "personID=$personID&amp;tree=$tree&amp;parentset=$parentset&amp;generations=$generations\" class=\"lightlink\" id=\"maplnk\">$text[ancestorsmap]</a>\n";

Add the following line:

Add the following line:

$innermenu .= "   |   <a href=\"$mappedigree_url" . "personID=$personID&tree=$tree&parentset=$parentset&generations=$generations\" class=\"lightlink\" id=\"maplnk\">$text[ancestorsmap]</a>\n";

Réal, I have had a go at producing a cfg file for installing ancestors map with Mod Manager. Works on my computer. You might like to test and post it to the TNG Wiki site if you're happy with it.

Bruce Roy

ancestors_map_V1.0.cfg.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Add the following line:

Add the following line:

$innermenu .= "   |   <a href=\"$mappedigree_url" . "personID=$personID&tree=$tree&parentset=$parentset&generations=$generations\" class=\"lightlink\" id=\"maplnk\">$text[ancestorsmap]</a>\n";

Real

Thanks for this, excellent addition. I was thinking of asking about this myself. I am running 7.0.2 still and I simply followed your instructions and applied the changes - worked first time.

Couple of very minor pedantic points:

(1) It is extrastree.php that is changed (not extratrees)

(2) I found the line number was 169 for the last mod.

Takes a bit of time to load when you get to 8 generations but is well worth it, as it gives a very good geographical representation of where your ancestors came from, in my case 8 generations very closely grouped in the sout of England.

Cheers

Jon Baker

• 1 month later...
Réal Charlebois

Hi,

Sorry for not having responded earlier, my condo burned down and I've been kind'a busy.

I just upgraded to 7.1 but I havent yet implemented this function in the new version. I will be looking at that in the next few weeks and I will post the results. I suspect changes will be minir.

Réal, I have had a go at producing a cfg file for installing ancestors map with Mod Manager. Works on my computer. You might like to test and post it to the TNG Wiki site if you're happy with it.

Bruce Roy

ancestors_map_V1.0.cfg.txt

Hi Bruce,

I'm not familiar with mod manager, but I will look into it ... always willing to learn new tricks ...

Real

Thanks for this, excellent addition. I was thinking of asking about this myself. I am running 7.0.2 still and I simply followed your instructions and applied the changes - worked first time.

Couple of very minor pedantic points:

(1) It is extrastree.php that is changed (not extratrees)

(2) I found the line number was 169 for the last mod.

Takes a bit of time to load when you get to 8 generations but is well worth it, as it gives a very good geographical representation of where your ancestors came from, in my case 8 generations very closely grouped in the sout of England.

Cheers

Jon Baker

Pedantic points ;-) are always welcome. Sometimes I type these things up a little too fast and dont verify the small details. I'm glad it worked for you.

Réal Charlebois

Ok, I installed it on 7.1 and here are the changes required:

Add the following line:

To extrastree.php at line 18

Add the following line:

To pedigree.php at new line 452

To ahnentafel.php at new line 82

To extrastree.php at new line 167

it works fine for me

• 9 months later...

I've had a go at amending this to run under TNG8 and packaging into a mod manager config file.

You can see this running on one of my sites at http://www.stevenwillingale.com/tng/mapped...p;generations=4

It would be help if someone could check this runs OK on their setup, before I add details to the Wiki etc

Cheers

Steven

EDIT : See post below for final CFG file

Steven,

Kind of funny to see this posted; I just updated the same mod to use on my own site this morning. Our changes are only slightly different (it looks like the insertion point is slightly different - causing the location of the link to the ancestor map to vary from yours to mine). I followed what the original mod author did, but it looks like they both work just fine.

Here is a zip file with your version and mine. ancestor_map_v8.1.0.zip. I noticed couple of other minor differences (which don't affect the function). When I looked at yours, the characters of the original author's name were changed, and the version number was not updated within the file.

Cheers,

Bryan

I've had a go at amending this to run under TNG8 and packaging into a mod manager config file.

You can see this running on one of my sites at http://www.stevenwillingale.com/tng/mapped...p;generations=4

It would be help if someone could check this runs OK on their setup, before I add details to the Wiki etc

Cheers

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Ryan C. Minnig

Kudos for the very cool map addon. :)

Here is the final ancestors map cfg file for TNG8 using Bryan's version of the files, with one small change to copy the file mappedigree.php file to the TNG folder.

Steve,

No luck for me installing this...

In the Mod Manager it seemed to think all was well.... install says it went ok....

but then when I go to look, there is no Map link in the ancestors inner menu?

Looking at the raw config file it looks rather shorter than I expected.

Jay

www.1familytree.com/genealogy/

Steve,

No luck for me installing this...

In the Mod Manager it seemed to think all was well.... install says it went ok....

but then when I go to look, there is no Map link in the ancestors inner menu?

Looking at the raw config file it looks rather shorter than I expected.

Jay

www.1familytree.com/genealogy/

Jay,

Did you use the Mod Manager file from the TNG Wiki article - Ancestor Map or the one from Steve's site?

Ken

I love this map! Question, though...

I installed it in my tree some time ago and when I go to a person's page, the map shows up in "map" view instead of "satellite" view....which I prefer.

Then I installed it in a friend's tree and it always comes up in "satellite" view by default?

Is there a way to choose which way it appears?

I love this map! Question, though...

I installed it in my tree some time ago and when I go to a person's page, the map shows up in "map" view instead of "satellite" view....which I prefer.

Then I installed it in a friend's tree and it always comes up in "satellite" view by default?

Is there a way to choose which way it appears?

Look at Google Maps - Getting Started on the TNG Wiki. The change can be made in Map Settings in Admin >> Setup.

• 9 months later...

I just installed the mod, and it looks great!

But I can see the map only on my laptop with Win XP and IE8.

On my desktop machine with Win 7 64 bit and IE8 I don't see the link to the map.

I have also tried Mozilla and there is also no link?

Anyone a suggestion?

Problem solved, i changed the language from Dutch to English and back and the map was there! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Thanks to everyone who has helped to get this put together. I am pretty sure I have done all the steps but the map is not showing up. The link does show up.

I uploaded the Mod Manager file and installed, which seemed to work fine.

I got a key from Google (for http://genealogy.the-franklins.net), pasted that into the Map Settings, and saved.

The map link shows up under Ancestors but nothing below it. I am using TNG 8.1.1 - perhaps that is why? Any suggestions?'

EDIT:

Oops, I think I answered my own question, because now I see revised versions here: http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ancestor_map

Rather than the one in this thread. Thanks, all.

Now that I have looked into this farther, I realized from this page (Ancestor map) that geocoded places are required in my TNG database for the Google mapping to work. I have 3000 locations, so manually going to each one in the TNG admin interface and searching for the lat/long coordinates is not a fun concept.

I am using Family Tree Maker for my master database and have the locations pretty well cleaned up. FTM does map the locations to include lat/long within my FTM database, but apparently there is no way to maintain that data when exporting to GEDCOM 5.5 for uploading to TNG! I didn't realize the GEDCOM 5.5 format was so outdated (1996!) until now. How frustrating.

In searching the forum here, I see some folks talking about scripts to automate the geocode searching within TNG. Is that my best option here? I am not missing something obvious, am I?

Now that I have looked into this farther, I realized from this page (Ancestor map) that geocoded places are required in my TNG database for the Google mapping to work. I have 3000 locations, so manually going to each one in the TNG admin interface and searching for the lat/long coordinates is not a fun concept.

I am using Family Tree Maker for my master database and have the locations pretty well cleaned up. FTM does map the locations to include lat/long within my FTM database, but apparently there is no way to maintain that data when exporting to GEDCOM 5.5 for uploading to TNG! I didn't realize the GEDCOM 5.5 format was so outdated (1996!) until now. How frustrating.

In searching the forum here, I see some folks talking about scripts to automate the geocode searching within TNG. Is that my best option here? I am not missing something obvious, am I?

You could check whether RootsMagic Essential (the free version of RootsMagic 4) provides the capability to export the geocoded places. I used RootsMagic 4 to code a large number of my locations, but I don't know if that function is disabled in the free version.

• 3 months later...
Rikke Fjordbak Ravn

Here is the final ancestors map cfg file for TNG8 using Bryan's version of the files, with one small change to copy the file mappedigree.php file to the TNG folder.

Is there a version available that is compatible with TNG 8.1.3?

I have tried the two versions available at http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ancestor_map but neither of them worked.

Rikke

I have tried the two versions available at http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ancestor_map but neither of them worked.

Rikke

Rikke,

I am currently using the Ancestor map (ancestors_map_v8.1.2.cfg) on my TNG 8.1.3 site, so you will need to provide a bit more information than neither of them worked.

Since I am also running the Google Maps More Place Levels mod, I also install a place level modification to the Ancestor map

The 8.1.2 version from the Wiki is working OK on my site

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.ph...&tree=Roger

for example.

Roger

Rikke Fjordbak Ravn

Rikke,

I am currently using the Ancestor map (ancestors_map_v8.1.2.cfg) on my TNG 8.1.3 site, so you will need to provide a bit more information than neither of them worked.

Since I am also running the Google Maps More Place Levels mod, I also install a place level modification to the Ancestor map

Ken,

This is what I did:

Downloaded the ancestors_map_v8.1.2.zip from http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ancestor_map

Uploaded the ancestors_map_v8.1.2.cfg file to the mods folder

Installed the cfg file from the MOD manager

Status after installation:

pedigree.php: Location1: Installed

pedigree.php: Location2: Installed

pedigreetext.php: Location1: Installed

pedigreetext.php: Location2: Installed

ahnentafel.php: Location1: Installed

ahnentafel.php: Location2: Installed

extrastree.php: Location1: Installed

extrastree.php: Location2: Installed

languages/English/cust_text.php: Location1: Installed

languages/English-UTF8/cust_text.php: Location1: Not installed

mappedigree.php V8.1.1 Not installed

Not all sections installed

I can see that both cust_text.php files has been edited at the time of installation.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Rikke

Ken,

This is what I did:

Downloaded the ancestors_map_v8.1.2.zip from http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ancestor_map

Uploaded the ancestors_map_v8.1.2.cfg file to the mods folder

Installed the cfg file from the MOD manager

Status after installation:

pedigree.php: Location1: Installed

pedigree.php: Location2: Installed

pedigreetext.php: Location1: Installed

pedigreetext.php: Location2: Installed

ahnentafel.php: Location1: Installed

ahnentafel.php: Location2: Installed

extrastree.php: Location1: Installed

extrastree.php: Location2: Installed

languages/English/cust_text.php: Location1: Installed

languages/English-UTF8/cust_text.php: Location1: Not installed

mappedigree.php V8.1.1 Not installed

Not all sections installed

I can see that both cust_text.php files has been edited at the time of installation.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Rikke

Rikke,

I don't see that you are doing anything wrong. What is the URL for your site?

If you want to send me credentials for Admin and FTP access to your site to my web site email address -- ken at royandboucher.com I can take a look. Don't post the access credentials here.

Rikke Fjordbak Ravn

Rikke,

I don't see that you are doing anything wrong. What is the URL for your site?

If you want to send me credentials for Admin and FTP access to your site to my web site email address -- ken at royandboucher.com I can take a look. Don't post the access credentials here.

With the help from Ken, the map is now showing on my site. Thank you :)

Rikke